Metamono is breathing new life into rarely seen classics of wildlife documentary at this year’s Crystal Palace Overground Festival, thanks to the support of Film Hub London.
Secrets of Nature – Sounds Unseen is a silent film show with specially composed music from last year’s festival headliners, Metamono.
“It’s an incredibly creative show and will be a highlight,” said festival director, Noreen Meehan.
“Metamono draw on styles and techniques from the cutting edge of contemporary popular and art music, back to the days of silent cinema itself, they avoid digital audio entirely, so their music has both an ethos and patina in keeping with the films – not to mention an unmistakably British sense of fun, wonder and resourcefulness. It’s going to be an amazing show playing live music to some of the most wonderful, ground-breaking and bizarre British films of the silent era.”
This collage of archive films dating from 1903 to 1927 showcases the incredible British talent that paved the way for modern-day natural history programmes.
The fundraising film show, with bar, is being staged at St John the Evangelist Church on June 27 and will be followed by a full on Metamono performance and light show designed by Dizco Visual.
Secrets of Nature – Sounds Unseen is sponsored by Anthony Gold Solicitors and The Transmitter magazine, with technical support from Clubtek. It is supported by Film Hub London, managed by Film London and a partner of the BFI Film Audience Network, funded by the National Lottery.
Coming to Croydon
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- David Lean Cinema: Suzanne, June 19
- Fit 2 Learn seminar, June 20
- Airport House swing dance free event, June 21
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- David Lean Cinema: Feet from Stardom, June 23
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- St Peter’s Village Fayre, South Croydon, June 28
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Coast to Capital business briefing, July 4
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com