For more than a century, the ghost stories of MR James have chilled the spines of readers across the world. Next week, the Spread Eagle Theatre in central Croydon is promising that author’s tales of horror will return to terrify a new audience with a selection of his most unsettling tales of dread.
Warnings To The Curious: The Ghost Stories Of MR James is presented by Don’t Go Into The Cellar, a troupe who perform at venues across the country from theatres and restaurants to manor houses and festivals, offering an original take on traditional Victorian and Edwardian theatre, combining authentic costumes and props with multi-media film, video and sound.
“Formed in 2010, Don’t Go Into The Cellar! remains the British Empire’s finest practitioners of theatrical Victoriana in a macabre vein,” according to the publicity issued ahead of next week’s performance. “Using a talented and versatile troupe of professionally trained actors and crew, Don’t Go Into The Cellar! perform at theatres, festivals and events across the United Kingdom.
“Artistic Director Jonathan Goodwin both writes and performs in each show, bringing a lifelong love of Victorian detective, ghost and horror stories to the fore. His commitment to detail and understanding of fin de siecle Zeitgeist ensures that audiences are guaranteed a splendidly authentic slice of stage-frights.”
The production makes the most of 21st century theatre techniques and technology to pump fresh blood into these gothic gems, promising brilliantly crafted sound and video sequences.
“In the Victorian tradition of fog-bound chillers, sensational thrillers and merry Music Hall entertainments, their stage-players unveil a kaleidoscope of 19th century theatrical treats.”
Warnings To The Curious: The Ghost Stories Of MR James is being performed at the Spread Eagle Theatre, above the pub on Katharine Street, next Friday, June 27, from 7.30pm. Tickets are just £10 each.
- To book tickets and see other up-coming shows visit www.spreadeaglecroydon.co.uk/theatre
Coming to Croydon
- Airport House swing dance free event, June 21
- Park Hill School summer fair, June 21
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- David Lean Cinema: Feet from Stardom, June 23
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- Metamono Secrets of Nature, Upper Norwood, June 27
- St Peter’s Village Fayre, South Croydon, June 28
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Coast to Capital business briefing, July 4
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com