That’s how much was raised in a single day for the Stop the Incinerator Campaign, following the urgent appeal published on Inside Croydon yesterday.
The only conclusion that can be drawn from that information is that our loyal reader is exceptionally generous and publicly spirited. Or that there may be more than one of you.
“The amazing news is that through bank transfers and online payments, I have received just over £4,000 funds since the word got out of our predicament. Thank you Inside Croydon,” Shasha Khan, who is fronting the legal challenge, wrote to us within a few hours of the appeal going online.
“The response has been overwhelming,” Khan said. Another £1,500 was pledged or donated during the rest of the day.
The campaign has been working for five years to oppose the development of a rubbish-burning industrial incinerator on Beddington Farmlands, just across the borough boundary from Croydon, in Sutton. The £1 billion, 25-year contract with Viridor is backed by the South London Waste Partnership, a cabal of Sutton, Kingston, Merton and Croydon councils – two of which are currently under Labour control.
Khan and his legal team now expect to be at the Royals Courts of Justice on The Strand tomorrow morning to bring the case to a High Court judge to assess whether the Viridor incinerator goes against the public interest on a range of matters.
And Inside Croydon does get read by all kinds of people, including Michael Shreeve, of Bevan Brittan, “The public service law firm”.
In fact, they are the firm working on behalf of Viridor, or the SLWP, or Sutton Council, or… Well, they are the lawyers who are being paid very handsomely, ultimately out of public funds, to try to frustrate and deny Khan and the campaigners their judicial review day in court to argue the case for millions of south Londoners’ right to be able to breathe unpolluted air.
Around lunchtime yesterday, Shreeve sent an email to the solicitors acting for Shasha Khan. There was just a touch of smugness about it. “I came across the below article in the local Croydon press…,” Shreeve wrote, and offered a link to our article.
“Our legal team have indicated that such is the level of preparation required they need to have a decision by 5pm on whether the intention is to go ahead with judicial review.”
Hopefully, Shreeve will be reading this article “in the local Croydon press”, too. Because Khan and his colleagues have a message for him:
See you in court.
Despite the incredible generosity shown yesterday, Khan’s legal appeal still needs thousands of pounds more towards the cause, and there is still time to make a donation.
Every tenner helps, because with thousands of people from across south London supporting the cause, that helps to strengthen the case in court, too.
- You can donate online here
- Visit the campaign website here
- Read Inside Croydon’s archive of articles about the environmental catastrophe that is the Beddington incinerator by clicking here
Coming to Croydon
- The Goon Show, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 8-11
- David Lean Cinema: Boyhood, Oct 9
- Upper Norwood Library meeting, Oct 13
- David Lean Cinema: Grand Central, Oct 14
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- David Lean Cinema: Finding Vivian Maier, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- South Croydon business breakfast, Oct 18
- Purley War Memorial Hospital health fair, Oct 18
- David Lean Cinema: Mood Indigo, Oct 23
- This Was The World and I Was King, Spread Eagle, Oct 23-25
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, 2.30pm, Oct 25
- David Lean Cinema: Ilo Ilo, Oct 28
- CODA’s Wind In The Willows, Charles Cryer, Carshalton, Oct 29-Nov 1
- David Lean Cinema: Belle, Oct 30
- NHS free health fair, Central Parade, New Addington, Oct 31
- St Giles School opening morning, Nov 5
- Albert Einstein – Relativity Speaking, Spread Eagle, Nov 12-15
- South Croydon business breakfast, Nov 15
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
- Choose Your Own Documentary, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 21-22
- The Last Sense of Sudden, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 27-29
- Ghost Stories for Christmas, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 3
- Fog Horn Funnies, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 6
- South Croydon business breakfast, Dec 13
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com