After having an inventor’s “lightbulb moment”, Coulsdon mum Anna Lloyd is now being referred to as a “mumpreneur”, after her Buggi Lights won one of the most rigorously judged awards in the parenting industry.
Lloyd’s Buggi Lights took gold at the latest edition of the Mother and Baby Awards, judged by 200 mums from across the country who put every product entry through its paces. Buggi Lights won the top award in its category – Best Travel Product under £25.
Buggi Lights are ladybird-shaped lights which clip to the bars of pushchair so it can be safely seen at night from up to 300 metres.
Lloyd is mum to two children. She created her invention when her first son, Sam, was only months old.
“Like many other mums, I wanted to stay home and enjoy my children but wanted something to keep my hand in from a business point of view at the same time,” said Lloyd.
“I came up with the idea for Buggi Lights because I simply didn’t feel safe crossing roads at dusk with Sam in the pram. And much as I tried to avoid being out with him at this time, it was virtually impossible in winter when dusk can fall as early as 4pm.”
Buggi Lights have already sold 15,000 units, and Lloyd has now developed another product, Scooti Lights, designed to fix to the handlebars of kids’ scooters.
“I’m delighted to receive this award and I am sure it will give real impetus to the brand in the coming months. Accolades such as these are so important in this industry where new parents need as much reassurance as possible particularly from respected and trusted third parties such as Mother and Baby.”
- BECOME AN iC SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org