WALTER CRONXITE, political editor, on an early promotion for Croydon’s newest MP
Sarah Jones has made an impressive early move up the greasy pole of Westminster politics by being appointed as PPS – Parliamentary Private Secretary – to John Healey, Labour’s shadow housing spokesman.
The Croydon Central MP, elected last June, will have the task of watching Healey’s back in a fractious Parliamentary Labour Party where so many MPs are silent, sullen opponents of the party’s leader, Jeremy Corbyn.
Healey said that he is “so pleased” to have Jones joining the team when her appointment was announced yesterday morning.
One Corbyn opponent is Steve Reed OBE, the Croydon North MP, who did not receive a call back to Labour’s front bench in the opposition reshuffle announced on Friday.
Jones is therefore now the most highly placed Labour politician in Croydon. In positions of power and influence, the Tories have the unelected Gavin Barwell, the Prime Minister’s chief of staff and regular promoter of Nando’s.
Reed resigned as a shadow local government minister in June 2016 as part of the “chicken coup”, the failed attempt to remove Corbyn in a rolling mass resignation by Blairite members of Labour’s front bench team.
Perhaps Jones will pick up some good tips from across the country on how local authorities can actually deliver truly affordable housing in Croydon, after the miserable failure to deliver in any new homes in Croydon since 2014.
Housing will be a significant weakness for Labour in the local elections on May 3, with both not a single brick laid by the council’s £1million loss-making development company, Brick by Brick, and the site of the council’s old offices at Taberner House also seeing zero progress since 2014 on promised housing there.
Maybe Jones can turn Croydon’s Labour council’s slogan “Delivering for Croydon” into a reality when it comes to affordable housing.
- BECOME AN iC SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- “Excellent scandal-digging”: Patrick Kidd, The Times political diary columnist
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com