An appeal for essential items to help Croydon’s homeless this winter has been a huge success, with donations flooding in to the campaign’s collection points at the offices of JB Shakespeare funeral directors in Croydon and Selsdon.
The appeal was announced on Inside Croydon just before the end of November. Since then, staff from the long-established independent funeral directors have made two trips to the Crisis Skylight centre in Surrey Street heavily laden with clothes and toiletry items.
“I know that people care,” said Chris Dighton, the firm’s managing director, “but I have been staggered and humbled by the response and effort people have put in to get to us with their donations.”
The appeal called for bathroom items like shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste and sanitary items along with clean underwear and warm clothing.
Shakespeare’s offices will continue to take donations from the public until next Tuesday, December 18, with collection points at 1 Norfolk House on Wellesley Road and at 175 Selsdon Park Road.
“It has proved to me that when there is a collective will so much can be achieved,” Dighton said.
“I feel emboldened to follow-up with a new campaign next year. But for now all I can say is a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has donated.”
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org