The busy and often crowded bus station outside Victoria Station is to close on Monday for about six weeks for urgent safety works, causing significant disruption for commuters and other travellers going into London over the Christmas period for shopping, sight-seeing or to visit the nearby Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park.
Transport for London said: “All bus routes will continue to run, but temporary changes will be made to the stopping arrangements for routes that currently serve Terminus Place and Victoria bus station.”
Passengers have been encouraged to check their route before they travel on the TfL website.
Victoria Coach Station, 300 yards away on Buckingham Palace Road, is not directly affected by the works.
The adjoining Victoria railway station operates hundreds of commuter services every day, including Southern services to Croydon and the Brighton mainline.
TfL said the bus station would remain closed from Monday until “around” Friday, December 29.
The closure is necessary for “essential works to improve pedestrian safety and accessibility,” TfL said.
The Terminus Place entrance to Victoria Tube station will also be closed, with visitors advised to use the Victoria Street Entrance instead.
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- As featured on Google News Showcase
- We offer FREE ads to community groups when they have members who are paid subscribers to Inside Croydon
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine