Shabden Park Farm in Chipstead, just south of Coulsdon, is staging its annual lambing open day this Saturday, April 26.
Entry for this great day out is free, while the regular Farmers’ Market will be open to buy fresh produce, and food and drink will be available for purchase.
Open from 10am until 4pm, visitors are advised to bring wellies or boots to open days.
No dogs allowed.
Visitors will be able to meet the animals including the lambs and their mums, watch Farmer Mark working the sheep dogs, visit the Back to Nature Farm Shop, enjoy some local produce from Shabden farmers’ market and talk to Countryside Ranger Bob Crompton.
The organisers say, “You will be able to look in on the pigs. Our chestnut Sussex cows are in the fields, heavy in calf – you may see them if you go on a farm walk – but you can meet our pet cow, Krowka, when you visit the lambs.”
There are also farm walks, with the Countryside Ranger present to give visitors a chance to ask questions about Surrey Wildlife Trust’s role in the farm and woodlands. There is also a self-guided trail on the farm – you can get details and a leaflet from Surrey Wildlife Trust, or the ranger will have some on the day.
Teas, coffees and beef burgers made by the farm’s butchers from meat reared on the farm will be available and there will be an area to sit down to eat and have a rest from all the activity. Other farmers’ market stalls will be selling their local produce to eat for lunch.
Children will be able to do a short quiz to help them remember what they have learned. If you bring your completed quiz to the refreshments stall, Kirstie will give you a small prize. Kirstie’s mum, Sue will have some farm animal and lambing-related crafts to keep children amused and reiterate what they have learned.
The Farm Shop will be open all day selling farm-reared lamb, beef and pork, as well as local chicken and free-range eggs. Click here to visit the farm shop webpage. Shabden Farmers’ market, the monthly farmers’ market held on the farm will be here for you to buy local produce to take home or eat here.
- Shabden Park Farm, High Road, Chipstead, Surrey CR5 3SF can be found here, or called on 01737 552744
Coming to Croydon
- Private Peaceful, Charles Cryer Theatre, Apr 23-26
- Alison, A Rock Opera, Spread Eagle Theatre, Apr 23-26
- David Lean Cinema: Short Term 12, Apr 24
- Groundwork River Wandle project workshop, Apr 24
- Stop The Incinerator Beer and Bingo fund-raiser, Apr 28
- Future of Crystal Palace debate, Apr 30
- Groundwork River Wandle project workshop, Apr 30
- David Lean Cinema: The Railway Man, May 1
- Groundwork River Wandle project workshop, May 1
- Hauntology – the architecture of Croydon, Apr 5-May 2
- David Lean Cinema: Wadja, May 8
- Coulsdon Euro election hustings, May 8
- David Lean Cinema: Blue Velvet, May 10
- Norwood Society Talk: West Norwood – a place of change, May 15
- David Lean Cinema: The Invisible Woman, May 15
- Coulsdon West local election hustings, May 16
- Croydon RFC charity memorial day, May 17
- Coulsdon East local election hustings, May 20 (tbc)
- David Lean Cinema: The Rocket, May 22
- David Lean Cinema: Dallas Buyers Club, May 29
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org