The Friends of Selsdon Wood are holding its annual charcoal-making event this bank holiday weekend, May 24 to 26.
The Friends’ team will be led by Neale Fox, but more helpers are welcome to volunteer.
Timings may vary depending on the weather but all being well, on Saturday May 24, starting at around 10am, the Friends will be setting up in the coppice area at the top of Langford’s Way and loading the kiln with a view to lighting it at around sunset.
On Sunday May 25 they will complete the burn and then shut down the kiln allowing it to cool over Sunday night. Also on Sunday, they will cut and bag logs from any wood that was not needed for the burn.
On Monday May 26 they will unload the kiln and bag the charcoal ready for sale.
“It is great fun meeting people and doing something productive outdoors and we would love to have your help even for a short time especially on Saturday or Monday. If you would like to be involved please contact Neale directly on email@example.com and he will let you have up-to-date details of our plans.”
Coming to Croydon
- Coulsdon East local election hustings, May 19
- St Giles’ primary school open morning, May 21
- David Lean Cinema: The Rocket, May 22
- Songs From The Ledge, Spread Eagle Theatre, May 23
- Greek Myths: stories and mask-making, May 27
- Howard Marks: Scholar, Smuggler, Prisoner, Scribe, May 29
- David Lean Cinema: Dallas Buyers Club, May 29
- Tales from Ancient Greece, Upper Norwood Library, May 29
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, May 31
- Stitch Pitch quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, June 2
- Croydon Tech City “summit”, June 6
- An Improvised Murder, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 7
- Lakes Playground Action Group fun day, June 14
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, June 15
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org