Kenley Airfield Friends Group is staging its main event of the year today, its Airfield Heritage Day on the Portcullis Club field on the former Battle of Britain airfield site.
The event runs from noon to 4pm and is free.
The day will feature guided heritage walks around the airfield, with its rich history from World War I as well as 1939-1945, plus there will be a live jazz band performing, many stalls and sideshows, the opportunity to see inside the bomb shelter in the Tribute blast pen, there will be 1940s food to sample (powdered egg, anyone?), a children’s photographic competition, BBQ and tea room, guided tours of the Portcullis Club and its collection of RAF memorabilia (where the bar will be open), military and classic vehicles and an auction of RAF and military memorabilia.
A new Heritage Walk leaflet will be available from the dispensers near the Tribute and Fuel Dump.
The airfield’s annual Battle of Britain Memorial Flight fly-past by a World War II Spitfire or Hurricane will take place later this year, at a date to be announced.
Coming to Croydon
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- David Lean Cinema: Suzanne, June 19
- Airport House swing dance free event, June 21
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- David Lean Cinema: Feet from Stardom, June 23
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- St Peter’s Village Fayre, South Croydon, June 28
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Coast to Capital business briefing, July 4
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org