Warlingham RFC has named Jon Osborne, their 26-year-old wing, as their first XV captain for the coming season, the Hamsey Green club’s 93rd year.
Osborne is a sports coach at Purley’s John Fisher School. He succeeds back-row forward Zack King, who remains the club’s vice-captain.
“Jon has been one of the first names on the team sheet and has been at the club for several years, cementing his reputation as an elusive runner and dependable defender for the club,” said a spokesman for the London and South East Division 2 side.
Warlingham, the area’s senior club, begin the 2014-2015 season with a home fixture against Old Reigatians on September 13. Having narrowly avoided relegation last season they are keen to improve their standing in what looks like a challenging division. The club’s full list of league fixtures can be found on the RFU website here.
Peter Wrightson, the Warlingham chairman, said, “We are delighted that Ozzie has taken up the role, he is an inspirational player and holds the respect of all the other players.”
Osborne said, “This is a great honour for me to captain Warlingham and to follow in the footsteps of some great players. I know I can rely upon the support of all the players, especially the former captains, hopefully to achieve a successful season.”
Warlingham have begun pre-season training on Tuesday evenings at 7pm. New players and newcomers to rugby are all welcome to attend, whether they are looking for a club, wish to improve their fitness or to try the game for the first time.
For geographical reasons, Warlingham have been switched across the regional league’s second division, from the south-east (populated mostly by clubs from Kent), to London and South-East Div 2SE, bringing back a number of traditional fixtures against more local opposition.
Warlingham have also been celebrating the MBE awarded to their veteran front-row forward, Ron Head, who continues to turn out to play despite being well into his 60s and having at least one dodgy knee.
It was not for his help for the lost cause of Warlingham’s fourth XV that Head and his wife, Avril, were both honoured, but for services to children and families, after they have fostered nearly 140 children over the last 30 years.
Contact your local rugby clubs here:
Coming to Croydon
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- Metamono Secrets of Nature, Upper Norwood, June 27
- Park Hill Park meet the police session, June 27
- St Peter’s Village Fayre, South Croydon, June 28
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Croydon Careers Fair, North End, June 30
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Coast to Capital business briefing, July 4
- Basically Johnny Moped at Stanley Tech, July 8
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com