South Norwood Tourist Board and Crystal Palace Transition Town will be back at the Sensible Garden tomorrow, June 25, at 6pm to work at creating what they call “a pocket park on this verdant gateway site to South Norwood”.
They say, “You, too, can be part of Celebrity Culture as we all rise to the challenge to meet the deadline of July 26 when the iconic Captain Sensible will dedicate a bench on the site which was previously an unloved tip that lies between Goat House Bridge and the Ship pub.”
The organisers need well-equipped volunteers, especially those with strimmers or transit vans. “If anyone who has a strimmer to tidy-up some of the edges and can bring one along that would be great. We also need shovels to clear grass off the hard standing around the benches.
“Also if you see any old For Sale signs and could deliver them to the Sensible Garden, we need as many as possible for some railings.
“We could also do with some cordless drills and screws that are long enough to go through a For Sale sign pole. If anyone wants to come along with a transit van or a truck it would be great if we could pick up some logs for path edgings and maybe flower bed edgings. If anyone would like to draw and paint some flowers to achieve immortality that would be most excellent too.”
- After tomorrow’s gardening session, the Transition Team and Tourist Board will be working on the site again from 2pm on Sunday, June 29.
Coming to Croydon
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- Metamono Secrets of Nature, Upper Norwood, June 27
- Park Hill Park meet the police session, June 27
- St Peter’s Village Fayre, South Croydon, June 28
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Croydon Careers Fair, North End, June 30
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Coast to Capital business briefing, July 4
- Basically Johnny Moped at Stanley Tech, July 8
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com